Monday 2 April 2012

A History Unit for Anzac Day

The Year 2 History component of the Australian Curriculum requires that students know
the history of a significant person, building, site or part of the natural environment in the local community and what it reveals about the past
and that they understand
the importance today of an historical site of cultural or spiritual significance; for example, a community building, a landmark, a war memorial.
Next term, with Anzac Day occuring in the first few weeks, it seems timely to study our local war memorial as we develop some of the history skills that my students will need later in the term when we study our local Show.
I am posting my unit plan here in case it is of use to others. I am so far enjoying implementing the new Australian Curriculum, but it would be great to see what other people are doing so I can know if I am interpreting it as the writers intended. I figure if I post my plans, perhaps others might either do the same, or at least give me some feedback about what they are doing with the new History curriculum.
I am really keen to provide engaging and motivating learning experiences for my students and to avoid too many worksheets. I have used the 5Es Inquiry Process as a structure for the planning - Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate, Evaluate. There are three assessment items for this unit.

There are two files to download because I made it a PDF and one of the pages is landscape so it is a separate file.
Anzac History Plan File 1
Anzac History Plan File 2

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Jane!! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm going to check with my supervising teacher what we're doing for ANZAC Day.

    Daydreams of a Student Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jane, as a busy primary school teacher, I too appreciate you sharing all these valuable ideas. Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful love your use of the 5Es.Thanks for sharing the resource.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful love your use of the 5Es.Thanks for sharing the resource.

    ReplyDelete