Wednesday 8 February 2012

Teaching with the Brain in Mind

I have been reading plenty of things from the Whole Brain Teaching program and implementing the bits I like in my room.
I am so happy with the 5 Rules and the actions. My kids knew all the rules by Day 2 and are still keen to keep their dear teacher happy. (They keep checking to make sure that I am - they are so cute!)
I am also using Class! - Yes! with lots of success.
The Teach-OK! is not working as well as I would like. I think I need to work harder on this one.

My teaching colleague showed me an attention getter today that she had come up with and I told her how impressive it was because it is whole brain teaching too.
She has modified the usual "Stop, Look and Listen" sing-song (which most of my kids echo and then proceed to ignore) to a short, sharp, "Stop, Look, Listen, Think" with simple actions. I like the actions because the students actually do have to stop what they are doing and it seems to switch in their brain enough that they do turn and look.

I have also used a sing-song repeat to great effect with my Year 2s where I extend the Class-Yes! to an "Are we ready?-Yes" when we were doing repetitions in both Maths and in our science experiments.

If you haven't seen the Whole Brain Teaching site yet, I recommend it. If you are implementing the suggestions, which bits are working for you?

3 comments:

  1. Hiya Jane!
    Thank you so much for your sweet comment. I'm following you now too! Gotta stick together us GC/Brissie gals ;)

    I've only just heard about WBT in the past fortnight and wow!! How cool does it look. I really want to try it on prac. Hopefully you and your kiddies perfect "Teach-Okay" soon.

    Cannot wait to hear more about your year with the Curious Cats xx

    Daydreams of a Student Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotoassignmenthelp is team of leading professional writers for Paper Help Writing Services to students all around the world. Contact us today for Best Essays help online at very affordable price. Under GotoAssignmentHelp we provide many types of help to the students. We are the most reliable assignment helpers. We have gained our specialization after spending most of our times in making ourselves perfect. We providing 100% plagiarism free Assignment Help. At the point when you pick our Programming Help assistance, our faculty will consider the quality and your evaluation criteria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading every single bit of this article. This post is really helpful for me. This post gives me the courage and the confidence. Now its time to avail limousine service Dublin ca for more information.

    ReplyDelete