Thursday 29 December 2011

Diary of a Wombat




This year I am going to have Munch & Crunch sessions with my class. Each morning just before morning tea, I will read a book (or a chapter of a book) to my students while they "munch and crunch" on fresh fruit or vegetables from their lunch boxes.
I plan to create activities based on many of the books I read so that I can use th
em to reinforce language ideas in the short space between when the story is finished and when the bell goes for morning tea.

One of the books I will use is "Diary of a Wombat" by Jackie French. You can see the book online here or read about the background to the story on Jackie's website.

This is another really cute book. It is written in diary form. They are not always complete sentences. I will use this book to illustrate the different styles of writing for different purposes. (Australian Curriculum link to English, Year 2: Understand that spoken, visual and written forms of language are different modes of communication with different features and their use varies according to the audience, purpose, context and cultural background)

I have made an Easiteach file for the activities. They are very simple activities. The first one is reinforcing the days of the week and the use of capital letters for proper nouns - also Australian Curriculum, English, Year 2. The second one is matching different forms of verbs - past and present tense.
I hope you enjoy this book!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting your blog up and moving forward. It is a discipline that I'm betting you will enjoy -- the more ya blog the more ya learn and then ya wanna blog about it!!!

    Look forward to your future sharing.

    Debbie Clement (from TBTS)
    Rainbows Within Reach

    ReplyDelete